The RTPI Regional Awards for Planning Excellence (kindly sponsored by WYG)
Congratulations to the 2016 overall winner Manchester Airports Group for The Manchester Airport Masterplan and Infrastructure Strategy.
The Manchester Airport Masterplan, managed by the Manchester Airports Group, gained planning consent earlier this year. The Masterplan
will deliver a £890m international air gateway that is a key element of the Northern Powerhouse economic vision. the plan considers how much land is required, how the project fits in with the overall vision for Manchester, the sustainability of the growth of the airport and the plan to modernise the existing facilities.
The judges comments were:
Whilst the precise approach taken was not completely clear from the submission, this project has clearly been the product of discussions, negotiations and collaboration between a number of actors and agencies, including environmental bodies, local businesses, political leaders and development professionals. The judges were also impressed as to how this project sought to spearhead growth in the North-West, supporting inward investment through a place-led approach to development looking to support not just the City-Region but the UK as a whole. This project was innovative, born from a collective desire to support economic growth rather than a narrow, project specific 'airport infrastructure' focus. A project of this scope and complexity should be praised and held up as best practice.
The scheme also won the Innovation Category Award.
The Award was presented at the RTPI NW Annual Dinner held at the Hilton Manchester Deansgate on Friday 7 October 2016, by RTPI Vice President Stephen Wilkinson and sponsor from WYG Andrew Bradshaw.
Shortlisted entries were:
- Revealing the Roch - submitted by Rochdale Council
- The Storyhouse Theatre, Chester - submitted by WYG
- Delivering Airport Infrastructure through Planning and Collaboration - submitted by Manchester Airports Group
- Alderley Park - submitted by HOW Planning
- RTPI Research Project - submitted by Arup, Manchester
- The Teanlowe Centre, Poulton le Fylde - submitted by Stephen Abbott Associates LLP
- Booths Supermarket, Barrowford - submitted by Stephen Abbott Associates LLP
- The Corn Exchange, Manchester - submitted by Deloitte, Manchester
- Malt Kiln Brow - submitted by HOW Planning
- Cheshire East Greenbelt Review - submitted by Arup, Manchester
Collaboration: Storyhouse Theatre, Chester, submitted by WYG
This project went above and beyond in the delivery of effective comunithy and business engagement as part of delivering a planning process.
Regeneration: Alderley Park, Cheshire East, submitted by HOW Planning
The redevelopment of the Alderley Park by Manchester Science Parks was led by a planning team at HOW Planning in close collaboration with Cheshire East Council. It has safeguarded the site and its facilities for bio-medical science uses which will continue to contribute around £15 million a year to the local economy once fully occupied.
Heritage: Revealing the Roch, submitted by Rochdale Council (joint award with the IHBC)
The Revealing the Roch project has opened up the River Roch through the Rochdale town centre. This exciting, community led project demonstrated how heritage can be the catalyst for creating a better place.
Innovation: Delivering Airport Infrastructure through Planning and Collaboration, submitted by Manchester Airports Group
Category Winner and Overall Winner. Details above.
Innovation Commendation: RTPI North West Research 2015, submitted by Arup Manchester
The research examines the rescourcing of local planning authorities in teh North West of England whether a lack of resources is impacting on growth and development, and what can be done to respond to these pressures.
The Regional Awards aim to:
- Reflect the key planning challenges of the early 21st century whilst promoting the art of science of planning for the benefit of the public
- Demonstrate the positive impacts that planning has on the quality of life in our region
- Celebrate professional expertise in devising effective and innovative solutions to key planning issues and problems.
- Disseminate models and examples of good planning practice to the profession and beyond