This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best possible experience. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with this. You can find out more about how we use cookies here. If you would like to know more about cookies, or how you can delete them, click here.

Frequently asked questions

What is the big issue in international planning?

It's managing urbanisation around the world: read more on our Briefing Room [PDF] article. For a clear assessment of challenges facing planning in the 21st century as presented to Commonwealth Heads of Government in 2013, read the CAP statement on Sustainable Development .

Is my UK qualification valid overseas?

Your RTPI-accredited degree and (if applicable) RTPI membership are widely recognised. Many UK planning graduates work overseas without needing to re-qualify. That said, employers may expect you to demonstrate knowledge of local planning legislation and administration.

Is my overseas qualification valid in the UK?

Certainly - there are many planners working here on their home qualification. As with the preceding question, however, you may be expected to prove your knowledge of the local system. You could follow a distance learning course or study modules on RTPI Learn.

Can I become a member of the RTPI with my overseas qualification?

The RTPI welcomes membership applications from candidates with overseas qualifications and experience. Find out more about our routes to membership.

How can I find work as a planner overseas?

How can I find out about the planning system of another country?

The International Manual of Planning Practice (IMPP) from the International Society of City and Regional Planners (ISoCaRP) is the best single source. It comes in book form with a short introduction to planning in over 100 countries accompanied by a CD-ROM with longer entries and links. Find details on ISoCaRP website (navigate via Publications to "IMPP"). The RTPI helped to publish this indispensable volume and Members are entitled to a discount, paying €30 instead of €35 for the book and CD (postage extra). To find out more about planning organisations in countries that interest you, contact the RTPI International Affairs Officer.

I'm moving abroad: can I contact RTPI members in another country?

If you are a corporate member of the Institute, we can ask your fellow-members in a particular country whether we can put you in touch with them (subject to data protection conditions). International Affairs Officer for details.

I am interested in what happens in other countries. How can I keep in touch with the issues?

Join the International Development Network and receive a monthly bulletin of planning news, events and announcements plus a well-used 'Help Wanted' message board. Cliff Hague's World View blog hosted by Planning Resource is an excellent regular column covering a very wide range of planning topics. He is particularly good at pointing up connections: one might think of an event or policy as primarily a domestic issue but Cliff Hague sees the universal applicability or resonances.

How can I find out more about international issues in planning?